“Communities of practice are groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do and learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.” – wenger-trayner.com
The OAC Stats Support Service will facilitate Communities of Practice (COP) to engage the OAC research community and assist with the statistical analyses and statistical software. Our researchers use a variety of statistical approaches and statistical software packages to conduct their research, by meeting, sharing perspectives, and learning new aspects of our software and/or statistical approaches, as a community, we can create enriched learning environments for all.
Fall 2017, will see the creation and revitilization of four COPs:
- SASsy Fridays
- Crimes of Statistics
- OAC R Users Group
- OAC Data Visualization
SASsy Fridays started as a COP in W14 in response to the growing interest of SAS-specific topics beyond what was being taught in the workshops. If you use SAS and are interested in learning and sharing new approaches to using the software or new statistical approaches in SAS, this is the COP for you! For past topics please review the SASsy Fridays blog. If you have a topic you would like to present or would like more information about, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. SASsy Fridays sessions will take place in the Crop Science Lab Rm 121A on the following dates and times:
- Friday, October 13 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, October 27 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, November 10 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, November 24 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, December 8 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
Crimes of Statistics
Many of us conduct experiments and run the appropriate statistical analysis, but sometimes we can get caught up in questioning the basics of the theoretical background. Topics such as replication, sampling, power, p-values, and many more. This COP will meet to discuss these and other topics. A short presentation on the topic du jour will be followed by a discussion of situations you may have encountered. The Crimes of Statistics COP will meet in the OAC Boardroom (Johnston Hall) on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, August 22 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
- Tuesday, September 5 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 3 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
- Thursday, November 2 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
- Thursday, November 30 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
- Tuesday, December 12 from 10:00-10:50 a.m.
The first meeting on August 22 will be an information gathering session. Please bring any topics you would like to see discussed to this session.
OAC R Users Group
R is growing in popularity and is gaining international acceptance in the research community. The goal of this group will be to exchange knowledge about R-packages and R-libraries that your research field or your lab uses. A short presentation or demonstration of practical application of an R-package or R-library will be followed by questions and exploration of other uses for the presented material. The OAC R User Group meetings will take place in Crop Science Lab Rm 121A on the following dates and times:
- Friday, October 20 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, November 3 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, November 17 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, December 1 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
- Friday, December 15 from 12:30-1:20 p.m.
You have been collecting data for a project and now it’s time to do something with it! What do you do? How do you present it? Should it be a table? A graph? A chart? This COP will discuss different ways of presenting data, the pros and cons of different formats, and will encourage the community to demonstrate their favourite data visualization formats. The Data Visualization COP will meet in the OAC Boardroom (Johnston Hall) on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, October 17 from 12:00-12:50 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 31 from 12:00-12:50 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 14 from 12:00-12:50 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 28 from 12:00-12:50 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 12 from 12:00-12:50 p.m.